Located on the corner of bucolic Avenue de Friedland and Rue Chateaubriand and built in 1906, the Royal Hotel continues a long tradition on the site of former well-known buildings with a strongly romantic character.
The land was first occupied by two small town houses with Gothic and Chinese architecture that were built for the Count of Lamscone and considered as a Parisian architectural curiosity at the time. The site became part of the romantic history of Paris when a small, three-towered castle and a park decorated with fountains and grottoes became the home of Arsène Houssaye (a well-known French man of letters; 1815-1896). Described by Emile Zola as the "last great oak in the Romantic forest," the author, to whom Baudelaire dedicated the prose poems of Le Spleen de Paris, built in its place a Renaissance-style town house where numerous artists met for the famous "Tuesdays with Arsène."
The town house was torn down when Boulevard Beaujon was built in 1857 during the redesign of Paris launched by Napoleon III. A magnificent Haussmann-style building was built in its place and is now the site of the hotel, thus continuing the romantic history of 33 Avenue de Friedland.